Accepting Job Applications until June 5, 2011
To apply, please send resume and letter of interest expressing why you would be a good match for this position to [email protected] Must provide references upon request.
SHAMBHALA MEDITATION CENTER OF PORTLAND
JOB DESCRIPTION: Office Manager/Center Registrar/Volunteer Recruiter
TITLE: Office Manager
STATUS: Non-Exempt Hourly
TIME: 18 hrs/wk. See below for schedule.
WAGE: $12.50 per hour
SUPERVISOR: Center Director
BENEFITS: Unlimited program credit at the Shambhala Meditation Center of Portland (PSMC) available after 3 months of employment; Two weeks paid vacation and up to three weeks unpaid leave available after 6 months of employment; Shambhala employee benefit which currently covers program tuition for Shambhala sponsored programs at Shambhala land centers. (e.g. Warrior Assembly, Seminary etc.)
This position is one of two paid positions at PSMC, an otherwise all volunteer-run organization. It is a pivotal position in the Center’s administrative team and serves as a central communication hub for the entire community. The position can make a substantial contribution to the Shambhala community and to the propagation of the dharma, therefore a sense of devotion and exertion will help make the job personally satisfying and make it beneficial to others. Thus an active practice and study commitment will be expected and members of PSMC will be preferred. The Office Manager will benefit from being able to see this job as an extension of their Shambhala path of practice and study.
• Outstanding communication skills; ability to communicate and correspond in a friendly, articulate and effective way; understands and can communicate the vision of the Shambhala Center
• Proficient computer skills, including email, internet, Microsoft Word and Excel; ability and willingness to learn new software and database applications
• Solid organizational skills and attention to detail
• Works effectively independently as well as takes and follows direction well.
• Supervisory experience
• Ability to set priorities when multiple and changing priorities compete for attention
• Reliable and Flexibile; able to handle interruptions and still accomplish work; can share space with others and maintain good personal relationships
• Sets boundaries effectively
• Regular meditation practice
• Customer service experience and experience with training others preferred
• Office Manager – 40%: Act as the first-line communication interface with the public, the Shambhala community and other organizations; general office duties; provide specific support to the Finance, Communications, Operations, Practice & Education, and Kasung departments.
• Center Registrar – 40%: Manage the overall Center programs registration system including maintaining the registration area of the Shambhala Database (SDB) and supervising the Center program registration team.
• Volunteer Recruiter – 20%: Function as main recruiter of the Center’s non-program volunteer corps; and supervise the Center Hosting team.
Click here to read full Office Manager job description including task list</a>
The Office Manager will work 18 hours a week as a combination of set and flexible hours as follows:
Required Set Hours:
o Tuesdays from 3:00 pm to 8:30 pm (Until 9:00 pm on Open House nights. The Office Manager is invited but not required to attend 7:00 pm sitting practice and make Center announcements)
o Thursdays from 4:00 pm to 7:30 pm
Preferred Set Hours:
o Every other Sunday from 8:30 am to 10:00 am to function as host to newcomers. May delegate to another Host and supervise, but this position bears ultimate responsibility for hosting at Sunday morning nyinthuns
o Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm as needed to train program registrars or provide program registration
o Saturdays from 8:00 am to 9:30 am as needed to train program registrars or provide program registration
o Remaining hours are personal choice with approval of Center Director